Comfort measures may ease labor pain directly or indirectly by soothing and relaxing you. Here are some examples:
- Create a calm environment: Dim lights, peaceful surroundings, soft music, privacy, and warmth.
- Increase physical comfort: Walking, slow dancing with a partner, pelvic rocking, positioning pillows for comfort, sitting and swaying on birth ball (a large physiotherapy ball), lifting up the abdomen and/or rocking in a rocking chair.
- Use touch: Massage, stroking, cuddling, counter pressure against the lower back or acupressure.
- Apply heat (with or without water): Deep tub bath, shower, heating pad on groin or back, heated blanket.
- Apply cold: Ice pack on lower back, cool cloth to wipe face.